In the previous post of this article series, it was articulated that the core function of leadership in navigating the complex business world is to understand and develop a strategic vision for its organization. This is said to include both practical business deliveries as well as ensuring employees support for the vision by engaging them in a personal and meaningful way. That is, the vision is both externally oriented to the business world as well as internally aligned and embraced by its employees. A way to ignite commitment in employees is by designing a well-crafted leadership development strategy.
The aim of this blog post is to go one step further in itemizing practical ways through which leaders can create effective leadership development strategy which help employees connect with the organizations vision in a personal and intimate way. So, the organization thrives in a puzzling business world.
What are leadership Development Strategies?
In a nutshell, leadership development strategy is the systematic approach by which leaders identify and enable employees within its organizations to be equipped, ready, and prepared to take up essential and important roles in the process of achieving its organizations’ vision, especially in the ever-puzzling business world.
The aim of leadership development strategies is to raise all employees to become agile leaders in their thinking, value systems and responsibilities. People who are able to adapt and function effectively in a volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous business world.
Employees who are equipped, able and willing to lead themselves and others within their organizations by the support of the leadership team are more willing to embrace the organizations vision because they feel competent in their roles and their involvement in creating the future of their organizations. This is often because they feel engaged and carried along the company’s journey. Many of them enjoy the innate realisation of creating the future of the organization along with everyone else in the organization.
The question then is, how can the leadership of an organization develop its leadership strategies in such a way all employees feel carried along and are collectively shaping the future of their organization in an agile and lean way.
Below are 5 ways the leadership of an organisation can create and develop great leadership strategies for all its employees
- REFLECT: it is important to reflect on deep environmental analysis to ascertain with a level of certainty the impending technological disruptions, political and social cultural influences that will have a short- and long-term impact on the business industry and market.
- RE-COMMIT: Recommit to coming up with a fresh and insightful best practices and competitive advantages in light of the environmental analysis. This should naturally follow new plans of actions
- RE-THINK: To carefully rethink the company’s key performance indicators and leadership criteria. To look at the present leadership gap and appropriately take necessary actions to feel the gap, all the while reinforcing the employees’ point of view.
- RE-DESIGN- Redesign the entire implementation plan, the leadership journey with the employees the centre of focus.
- REWARD: Reward leadership growth and efforts. Acknowledge success and encourage failure.
In conclusion, all five-points mentioned above are not exhaustive nor are they meant to be rigidly followed. They are iterative and should be constantly revisited and revised.
In our next and final article on this series, we would take a look at the possible challenges that should be expected when turning strategic intent into desired results and how to overcome them.